Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Journey to Adopt Gianna....

The purpose of this blog is to journal the events that have taken place, are taking place and our hope for the future in the adoption of our little foster daughter, Gianna. I hope that this is an encouragement to those of you who want to adopt or are in the process of adopting. My intention is not to come across as a "know-it-all", but to give you an inside look at how our lives were changed and are still changing through adoption. I don't have all the answers but I am open to comments or questions that you may have. I will start at the beginning when we first met Gianna. Her given name by her birth mother is Georgianna Sue Elizabeth ______. I cannot share the last name. We however took the last part of her name and chose to call her Gianna, pronounced like: Gee-awna.

April 30, 2004

It was a Friday and it was a normal day for us. At the time we had another foster daugther who was 14. Me and the kids were going to Washington to go to Walmart and I just happened to think about that CPS (Child Protection Services) had told me that whenever I am in town sometime to stop by so they can do a face-to-face with the 14 year old. So about Montgomery, I called them and told them we are coming in about 10 minutes. Little did I know what lay ahead of me. When we got there I was summoned by a caseworker. She wanted to know if I was up taking a newborn home for a while. She was born on April 28, 2004 and was 2 days old. She was still in the hospital and needed a place to go immediately because bio parents were not mentally capable of taking her home at that point. I called Richard to see what he thought and he left it up to me, but he was all for it. And so the rushing begins......off to Walmart to buy for a newborn. I didn't have most stuff that you need and so they gave me a voucher and away we went to get our products. Meanwhile, the caseworker went to the hospital to get our precious little girl. The minute they placed her in my arms I was in love. We bonded very quickly.

To be continued........

No comments: